Maia received her Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Calgary’s Haskayne School of Business in 2008 and her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 2012. Maia joined Cuming & Gillespie as an articling student in 2012.
Maia has appeared in the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, the Provincial Court of Alberta, and the Provincial Court of Saskatchewan. Having worked as a Judicial Clerk in the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta prior to her law career, Maia has invaluable knowledge of the inner workings of our court system. Through her practice, Maia has also garnered significant alternate dispute resolution experience, having participated in hundreds of private mediations and Judicial Dispute Resolution conferences to date.
Maia is passionate about her work and does not take lightly the responsibility of acting for individuals who have suffered injury through someone else’s negligence. She is extremely approachable with all of her clients and, through her practice and her work with the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association, is very involved in ensuring the rights of Albertan’s are protected.
While in Law School, Maia volunteered with Pro Bono Students Canada and CLASSIC (Community Legal Assistance Services for Saskatoon Inner City), where she represented low income individuals on matters relating to civil, criminal, immigration, and residential tenancy matters.
Maia continues to give back to the community through volunteering with the Legal Education Society of Alberta, acting as a CPLED coach to new articling students, and sitting on the executive of the CBA Health Law South Section and the board of the Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association. Maia has also guest lectured for the University of Calgary Faculty of Law in health law and, like all of the lawyers at Cuming & Gillespie, is committed to providing pro bono legal services.
Outside of the office, Maia enjoys travelling, DIY projects, spin, and is working on improving her golf game.
- J.D. (with Distinction), University of Saskatchewan
- B.Comm., University of Calgary
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta, admitted 2013
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association – Personal Injury South Section, Alberta
- Member of the Calgary Bar Association
- Executive, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association – Treasurer
- Training Practitioner, CPLED, the Bar Admission Course for the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Association of Women Lawyers, Calgary
- Co-Chair – 2017 ACTLA Women’s Legal Forum
- Executive, Canadian Bar Association Health Law South Section, Alberta – Vice-Chair
- Executive, Canadian Bar Association National Health Law Section – Member-at-Large