Yes. If you were injured in a hit-and-run accident while driving a motor vehicle or as a pedestrian and the at-fault driver’s identity remains unknown, you can bring a claim under the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims program (MVAC). The MVAC allows you to bring a lawsuit against the Administrator of MVAC under the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act. You can qualify for up to $200,000 in compensation.

It is critical to note that if you fail to notify the MVAC of a potential claim within 90 days of the accident, you may lose your right to sue. Given the complexities involved in determining eligibility and liability, the Government of Alberta recommends obtaining legal advice from a qualified lawyer.